Monday, September 1, 2008

MORE ON THOSE AWESOME BEES

I want to clarify before I go any further talking about honey, that I am speaking about RAW HONEY. Not only RAW but hopefully, unfiltered if at all possible. Raw honey is characterized by fine, textured crystals. Raw honey looks milkier and contains particles and flecks made of bee pollen and propilis (and maybe even a few bees knees!). Raw and unfiltered honey is relatively low in moisture content (14%-18%) and has a high antioxidant level. It will usually granulate and crystallize after a month or two.
To be truly raw, honey must not be heated to more than 118 degrees Fahrenheit. Higher heat will destroy the nutrients and greatly lessen the value we can have from raw honey.
Raw honey will keep indefinitely. There seems to be no expiration date. There are reports that archaeologists found jars that were over 2000 years old in Egyptian tombs and that they still tasted delicious and tested well for human consumption. Apparently honey was even used to preserve the bodies.
Bees have been producing honey for around 30 million years. It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man. Honey is a pre-digested food (a process done by the bees) that enters the blood stream directly producing energy quickly, unlike refined sugars which have to be digested.
For many years, I have been able to source our raw honey from an awesome beekeeper near where we live. As I said in my previous blog entry "Those Bees Are Awesome", using Wally's honey has led to some amazing discoveries. Honey has become our only sweetener, our prime healer of wounds and burns, an energy booster and part of achieving an up-and-running immune system.
I have personally witnessed a deep leg ulcer in a young man, instantly become pain free and begin to heal when raw honey was poured in. The ulcer had been very long standing and had signs of infection at the time. The honey healed it completely with no scar after only a few days of applying honey.
Five years ago, I myself caught all the fingers of my right hand in the slats of an automatic garage door, cutting them to the bone. As I coated the bleeding wounds with honey, the pain subsided to a dull throb. I wrapped them in clean gauze and went on to attend my college class. I applied fresh honey and wraps every few hours . Within hours the wounds were beginning to close, within days I no longer needed to wrap them as they were dry and healing well. My fingers have healed completely . No scars and with total mobility. I never needed to seek medical aid for that accident nor did I use anything but honey to cleanse and heal.
I myself have seen burns large and small, quickly healed. There will be a slight stinging experienced at the time of applying honey to the wound or burn, but it quickly subsides and seems to result in having had a cleansing affect on the area. Healing begins immediately.

More on the wonders of Bees and Honey soon.

"Unique among all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves the environment and preys not on any other species." -Royden Brown

No comments: